Transfer Information Home          Students Looking to Transfer          Parents Looking for Advice           Faculty/Staff Looking for Info

  • Welcome Parents!
  • How To Transfer
  • Coping with College
  • Degrees
  • General Education Requirements
  • FAQ
  • Schools
  • Financial Aid
  • Contacts
  • Campus Life
  • Glossary

Welcome Parents!

Here you should find all of the information that you need for your child successfully transfer to a Maryland institution!

This page is designed to answer your questions about transfer. Please use this site as a resource to assist you and your student in making the best transfer decisions. The most up-to-date transfer credit information on ARTSYS, the on-line articulation website or newly created articulation programs across the state, financial assistance, and more can be found at this site.

Be sure to click on the tabs to the left to learn information about various topics including:

  • How to Transfer: Steps to completing a succesful transfer

  • Coping With College: How to deal with your student going to college.

  • Degrees: Information on Associate's and Bachelor's Degrees

  • General Education Requirements: View the general education requirments for Associate's and Bachelor's degrees.

  • FAQ : View Frequently Asked Questions about Transferring

  • Schools : View listing of schools and contacts, as well as finding your major in the state of Maryland

  • Contacts : View Institution Contacts and Links to various state offices

  • Campus Life : Get a checklist of items you will need for campus life and links to institiution's "Campus Life" pages

  • Glossary:: Understand common transfer and articulation terms

How To Transfer

1. Visit your community college advisor or transfer coordinator in order to discuss your intentions to transfer and to obtain advisement.

2. Request information from 4 year institutions that interest you. A great way to discover educational opportunities is to attend the Transfer Advising Days held at your community college.

3.Find out about transfer requirements and deadlines for the institutions to which you intend to apply.

4.Visit the campus(es). While you are there, arrange to meet with either an admissions representative or a department advisor to discuss your chosen major of study.

5.Obtain an application form, or apply on-line.

6.Complete and send the applications(s) for admission.

7.Arrange to send transcripts from your current college and all previously attended institutions to the institution(s) to which you are applying.

8.Complete and send all required financial aid/scholarship information by the prescribed deadlines to the institutions to which you are applying.

Coping With College

Information for Parents and Families

Parenting a College Student:

1. Recognize that feelings of ambivalence about your child's leaving home are normal.
2. Allow yourself to feel whatever emotions come up.
3. Make overall wellness a goal for yourself.
4. Remember that, for your child, coming to college is a tremendously important developmental step toward full adulthood
5. Don't forget to reward yourself.
6. Your parenting job is not over, it is just changing.

10 Steps: Listen to their concerns.
Stay in touch (but not too much)!
Negotiate frequency of communication.
Be willing to cut the cord.
Help your child problem-solve.
State your concerns.
Don't overburden your child with your emotional issues.
Encourage smart financial practices.
Be realistic about academic achievement and grades.
Keep Cool.

What You Should Know About

Family Education and Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA)
Campus Resources, Policies, Services and Important Dates
Selected College Policies and Regulations
Whom to Contact to Get Questions Answered
Parents Council groups Online:

Parent Newsletters
Parent Organizations

Important Dates:

When classes begin
Drop/Add Period
Last day to change meal plans
Last day of classes


Click on the tabs to see descriptions about Associate's and Bachelor's Degrees.

General Education Requirements

The Maryland general education program, as implemented by public colleges and universities, is designed to introduce undergraduates to the fundamental knowledge, skills and values that are essential to the study of academic disciplines, to encourage the pursuit of life-long learning and to foster the development of educated members of the community and the world.

For students in public colleges and universities, the general education requirements are as presented in the following table. Independent colleges and universities each set their own general education requirements, and these can best be determined by consulting both the independent institution's catalog and academic advisers.

Maryland's General Education Program

Distribution Areas Associate of Applied Science Degree
(in credits)
Associate of Arts / Science degree
(in credits)
Bachelor of Arts / Science degree
(in credits)
English Composition 3 minimum 3 minimum 3 minimum
Mathematics - at or above the level of college algebra 3 minimum 3 minimum 3 minimum
Arts & Humanities - one course from each of two disciplines, may include speech, foreign language or composition & literature courses 3 minimum 6 minimum6 minimum
Social & Behavioral Sciences - one course from each of two disciplines 3 minimum6 minimum6 minimum
Biological & Physical Sciences - two courses, including one laboratory 3 minimum 6 minimum 6 minimum
Interdisciplinary & Emerging Issues - not required, will be transferred as part of General Education Program Optional
(8 maximum)
(8 maximum)
(8 maximum)
Additional credits - may be assigned by each institution from English, Mathematics, Arts & Humanities, Social & Behavioral Sciences and Biological & Physical Sciences to complete the number of credits required for the General Education Program. 5-21 credits0-12 credits8-22 credits
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED FOR GENERAL EDUCATION PROGRAM 20-36 credits30-36 credits40-46 credits
10-16 credits
Not Applicable


+ What is the process for me to transfer?

First, determine what major  you are interested in pursuing. Use the ARTSYS program to see which schools have your major. Begin following the Recommended Transfer Program as soon as you have selected a major and a school.  The  Maryland Transfer Portal can be used to research each school, location, major, and admissions information. Once you have a list of schools, visit with the Transfer representative to obtain a copy of their application,request one to be sent, or, if available, apply on-line. At all points in the process, make sure to meet with your Transfer Coordinator or Academic Advisor to make sure everything is being done correctly.

+ Is it better to get the Associate degree or to transfer early?

In most cases, it is important to finish the Associate Degree prior to transferring. However, some instances may require that you transfer prior to completion. Consult the recommended transfer program for your major and consult your academic advisor for more information.

+ What type of degree am I getting from the Community College?

Maryland community colleges award four associate-level degrees: the Associate of Arts (AA), the Associate of Science (AS) the Associate of Applied Science (AAS) and the Associate of Art in Teaching (AAT)

Transfer or Pre-baccalaureate degree programs (AA, AS) are aimed at meeting the needs of students who intend to earn a bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university. These programs are specifically designed so that all course work will transfer to a four-year institution. In fact, optional course offerings are available to students taking transfer programs which can be tailored to the specific major fields students plan to pursue in their junior and senior years (and can also be tailored to the requirements of specific four-year colleges and universities). Students should consult ARTSYS as well as academic advisors or transfer counselors at both the sending and receiving institutions for current transfer information.

Career degree programs (AAS) are designed for students intending to seek employment upon graduation from a community college. Many programs designated as AAS degrees are in fields which also offer a baccalaureate degree. Some of these courses may transfer; students should consult ARTSYS as well as academic advisors at both the sending and receiving institutions for information. Other career programs include specific occupational courses not normally offered by four-year institutions. These courses generally are not accepted as transfer credit by four-year institutions. However, all general education courses designated as such on the transcript will be accepted by receiving public four-year colleges and universities.

The Associate of Art in Teaching (AAT) degree is awarded to students who have completed a community college curriculum in Teacher Education. Students who complete the required courses, pass the Praxis I exam, and maintain a 2.75 cumulative GPA will be guaranteed the complete transfer (without further review) of credits into a four year institution in the state. The degree does not guarantee admission into an Teacher Education program.

+ How can I get more information about credit by exam or CLEP?

CLEP policies vary from college to college. It is recommended you contact your local community college for more information regarding credit by exam and CLEP.

+ How long will it take to graduate after I transfer?

Typically, if you are enrolled in a full-time course load, it will take 2 years after receiving the Associate degree to graduate from a 4 year institution. However, depending on when you transfer, and into which program, completion time may be two and a half years or even three.

+ Who do I contact at my school to ask about transferring?

You should contact your Transfer Coordinator or Academic Advisor. A list of designated people is available at our participating institutions and contacts page. .

+ When should I apply for admission to the institution(s) I am looking to attend?

Consult with the institution(s) you are applying to for more information regarding their admissions deadlines.

+ How do I apply for Financial Aid?

To apply for Financial Aid, submit a FAFSA form. The document is available online at Also consult individual schools and the Maryland Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship.

+ How do I get a transcript sent from one college or university to another?

Make a written request to the Records/Registrar's office on your campus. There may be a fee required. Ask about having your transcript sent electronically.

+ How many credits will transfer?

Transfer credits from a community college normally are limited to half the baccalaureate degree program requirement, not to exceed 70 credits. Consult the individual colleges for more information.

+ Do I need to take the SAT to transfer?

If you have more than 30 completed credits, most colleges will not require SAT scores.

+ What is ARTSYS?

ARTSYS is a computerized data information system created to facilitate the transfer of students from the Maryland public community colleges to University System of Maryland schools and other participating institutions.

+ What type of information does ARTSYS provide?

ARTSYS allows students and advisors at the institutions to ascertain the transferability status of any community college course. It indicates whether the course is transferable and, if so, indicates the receiving institution's equivalent course number or applicability towards elective credits. It also indicates the general education area(s), at both the sending and receiving institutions, applicable to the course

+ Does it provide information for specific programs of study?

The baccalaureate-degree granting institutions (in agreement with the sending institutions) have outlined prescribed courses for the academic majors. Each Recommended Transfer Program includes specific course requirements, admission requirements (if any) for the major, and often, transfer options and career information.

+ Does ARTSYS provide information for graduate programs as well as undergraduate?

ARTSYS was designed to provide information for students completing the bachelor's degree. However, an additional feature of ARTSYS lists all available programs from lower divisional certificates through the doctorate for any academic major at Maryland postsecondary institutions.

+ Can ARTSYS evaluate transcripts for the purpose of transfer?

Yes, the ARTSYS program permits the student to enter (or transfer from the institution's data base) his or her transcript into the program to determine the transferability of courses, and allows for the analysis of the courses taken against a Recommended Transfer Program. This may be done for a single program at a single receiving institution or for multiple programs at several institutions. The ARTSYS program computes a grade point average of all transferable courses, a grade point average for the academic major as well as an overall grade point average.

+ Will ARTSYS provide academic advisors and transfer counselors special assistance?

Yes, the ARTSYS program, in conjunction with the Electronic Transfer (ET) of transcripts among the associate degree and baccalaureate degree granting institutions, allows the receiving institution to analyze the student's record through ARTSYS in order to provide information, without delay, about his or her status upon transfer.

+ How often is ARTSYS updated?

The University System of Maryland Administration maintains the ARTSYS program and updates the database on a daily basis.

+ Where can I find ARTSYS?

You are here! Link to the home page .

Listing of Schools

  • For a listing of institutions participating in ARTSYS and contact information, visit our Participating Institutions Page

  • You can search for all majors available throughout the state of Maryland by visiting the Finding A Major Page at the Maryland Higher Education Commision Website.

Financial Aid Information

There is a lot of information on this page, click on the below links to jump to the various parts of the page:

  • Four Year Institutions Financial Aid and Tuition Links
  • Community College Financial Aid and Tuition Links
  • Financial Aid Links
  • Financial Aid Glossary Terms
  • Transfer Scholarships

  • Below you will find links to both Financial Aid and Tuition for each of the institutions participating in ARTSYS.

    4 Year Colleges/Universities
    Bowie State University Capitol College Notre Dame of Maryland University
    Coppin State University Frostburg State University Goucher College
    Hood College McDaniel College
    Morgan State University Mount St. Mary's University and Seminary Salisbury University
    St. Mary's College of Maryland Towson University University of Baltimore
    University of Maryland Baltimore University of Maryland Baltimore County University of Maryland College Park
    University of Maryland Eastern Shore University of Maryland University College Stevenson University
    Washington College
    Red Line
    Community Colleges
    Allegany College of Maryland Anne Arundel Community College Baltimore City Community College
    Carroll Community College Cecil Community College Chesapeake College
    College of Southern Maryland Community Colleges of Baltimore County Frederick Community College
    Garrett College Hagerstown Community College Harford Community College
    Howard Community College Montgomery College Prince George's Community College
    Wor-Wic Community College
    Red Line
    Red Line

    Glossary of Terms

    +Award letter

    When the State of Maryland offers you a scholarship or grant, the Office of Student Financial Assistance will send you an official award letter. This letter will list the name of the scholarship or grant, how much money you will receive and which school the award is for. You must sign, date and initial that you accept or reject the award and return the letter to the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

    +Cost of Attendance

    The total amount of money it will cost for you to go to college for a year is called the cost of attendance. This amount includes tuition and fees, room and board or housing/living costs, and allowances for books, supplies and other necessities. Where you choose to live (on-campus, off-campus or with your parents) is also a factor used in determining the total cost of your college.

    +Expected family Contribution (EFC)

    This figure is determined by the information you report on the FAFSA and is calculated by the federal methodology. Your EFC combined with your college costs will determine your eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant and other need-based aid.

    +Family Income

    Family income includes all income (taxed and untaxed) for you and your parent/guardian (if you are a dependent student) that is reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

    +Federal Methodology

    Federal Methodology is a formula used to calculate the amount of money that you and your family are expected to pay for college. This formula, established by Congress, is used nationwide for all students. The most important factors in the formula are the income and assets of you and your parents, and the size of your family.

    +Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

    The FAFSA is the basic application you must complete and file to apply for federal student aid, State of Maryland financial aid, and most institutional financial aid that colleges award to students. If you are a dependent of your parents, you must complete your section of the FAFSA and you must have your parents complete the parent section of the FAFSA. You may file the FAFSA, the Renewal FAFSA, or an electronic FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA using either a paper application or on the World Wide Web at

    +Financial Aid Package

    Your financial aid package consists of the total amount of financial aid you receive. Your package may contain federal grants, loans and work-study, State scholarships or grants, and scholarships, grants or loans from your college.

    +Financial Need

    The difference between the cost of attending your college and the amount of EFC is your financial need. Your financial aid package is based on the amount of your financial need.

    +Full-Time Student

    If you enroll as an undergraduate for 12 credits or more each semester, you are considered a full-time student. If you enroll as a graduate student for 9 credits or more each semester, you are considered a full-time student.

    +Grade Point Average (GPA)

    Your GPA is the average of your grades, where the grades have been converted to a 4.0 scale, with 4.0 being an A, 3.0 being a B, and 2.0 being a C.   A cumulative GPA is the average of all your grades when you attended a high school or college (i.e., cumulative GPA of grades 9-12 of high school).

    +Graduate Student

    A college student who is enrolled in a master's or doctoral program is called a graduate student.


    Grants are financial aid you do not have to pay back and are usually for students who have financial need. The largest Maryland State grant program is the Educational Assistance Grant. The largest federal grant program is the Federal Pell Grant.


    A loan is money you borrow that you must pay back with interest. Federal funds provide most of the money used in making educational loans. The Stafford Loan and the Perkins Loan are federal loan programs.

    +Official Transcript

    An official transcript is a list of all classes taken and all grades received by the student, and is sent by the school in a sealed envelope, usually with an original signature of a school official and an official seal.

    +Part-Time Student

    If you enroll as an undergraduate for 6-11 credits, you are considered a part-time student. If you enroll as a graduate student for 6-8 credits, you are considered a part-time student.

    +Promissory Note

    If you accept a scholarship that has a service obligation, you must sign a promissory note. The note is a binding legal document that states the terms and conditions of repayment of the scholarship should you not complete the service obligation.


    A scholarship is financial aid you don't have to pay back and is usually given to students who are recognized for academic achievement, athletic ability, or other talents.

    +Service Obligation

    Some scholarships and grants require that you work in State or local government or non-profit agencies in your chosen field after you complete your education. If you fail to complete your service obligation, you must then repay the money you received, with interest.

    +Student Aid Report (SAR)

    The SAR summarizes the information you included on the FAFSA you filed. The SAR will tell you your EFC and whether you are eligible for a Pell Grant. You should receive your SAR 4-6 weeks after you mail it to the federal processor, or 1 week after you file on the web.

    +Title IV School Code

    When you complete the FAFSA, you need to indicate the six-digit Title IV code for each school you list on the form. You can find a list of the Title IV school codes at your high school guidance office, college financial aid office, public library, the Federal Student Aid Information Center, or the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

    +Undergraduate Student

    A college or private career school student who is enrolled in a certificate, nursing diploma, associate's degree or bachelor's degree program is called an undergraduate student.

    +Work Study

    Work study is part-time employment during the school year, usually at an on-campus job.

Glossary of Terms

+ Articulation

The smooth transition of students between segments of education.

+ Articulation Agreement

An agreement entered into between two institutions that may outline course equivalencies, admissions requirements, or recommended courses to study.

+ Associate Degree

Degree awarded for the completion of at least 60 credits of work that typically includes General Education Requirements, major program of study requirements, and electives. Community colleges and two-year private and proprietary colleges generally award the associate degree.

+ Bachelor Degree

Degree awarded for the completion of at least 120 credits of work that typically includes General Education Requirements, major program of study requirements, and electives. Four-year public, private, and proprietary colleges and universities generally award the bachelor degree.

+ Concentration

An optional plan of study under an academic major. This may be a more specialized curriculum, with an emphasis on a specific part of the overall major. For example, a student majoring in English may have a concentration in writing or literature

+ Course Equivalency

A course at a community college that equates to a course offered at a four year institution. For example, PSYC100 (Introduction to Psychology) may be equivalent to PSY100 (Foundation of Psychology) at the four year institution.

+ Course Description

Information about a course, usually published in the course catalog. It usually includes the course number, name, and a brief description.

+ Course Evaluation

The information about how a course relates to other courses. It answer's the question, "How does this course transfer?"

+ Credits

Academic units earned what a course is successfully completed. Credits are usually in 3 or 4 semester hours. Most associate degree programs are 60 - 64 credits, and most baccalaureate degrees are 120 credits. A full time semester is 12 credits.

+ Electives

Courses that satisfy optional credits, and those not associated with major credit, or general education credit. Students often take these courses out in interest.

+ Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The document used to apply for financial aid. It is available on the web, at . The form should be completed for each year a student is enrolled in higher education.

+ Financial Aid

The money awarded to a student to help pay for education. It is based on completion of the FAFSA form. The Aid may be in the form of a loan, scholarship of work-study.

+ Freshman

A student who begins in higher education with less then 12 credits.

+ Full Time Student

Students enrolled in 12 or more credits per semester.

+ General Education Requirements

Academic courses that provide for a broad range of learning outcomes, designed to graduate a well rounded and educated student population. These courses include science, social sciences, English, communications, arts, humanities, health, or others. These courses must be completed by all students graduating from a public institution in Maryland. Consult your institutions catalog for a list of applicable general education courses.

+ Grade Point Average (GPA)

A numerical assessment of a student's cumulative academic performance, often expressed on a scale of 4.0.

+ Humanities

Academic disciplines that study the human condition such as history, philosophy, religion, modern languages and the performing arts are typically considered humanities. Most social science subjects are also considered humanities.

+ Lower Level Electives

A freshman- or sophomore- level course (100 or 200 level) that provides credit towards the completion of an academic program, but does not satisfy a General Education of Major requirement.

+ Major

The academic discipline a student wishes to receive a degree in. For example, Biology, Sociology, Elementary Education, or Social Work.

+ Matriculated Student

A full- or part-time student accepted to pursue study towards a degree by a college or university

+ Minor

An academic major that a student may pursue, in addition to the major. Often a smaller number of courses, this may be an area that compliments a major area, or that ensures interdisciplinary outcomes.

+ Non-Matriculated Student

A student who has not been accepted into a degree program by a college or university, but who is allowed to enroll in courses.

+ Non-Transferable Courses

Courses offered that do not transfer to another institution. Often, this applies to developmental courses in English, Reading or Mathematics, vocational courses, or in academic disciplines not offered at the receiving institution.

+ Prerequisite

A course or courses that must be taken prior to enrollment in the next-level course. For example, PSYC101 may be a prerequisite for PSYC221.

+ Receiver Institution

The institution from which a student is transferring to, often a four year college or university.

+ Recommend Transfer Program (RTP)

RTP's outline the first two years of an academic program. These are the courses a student should take at a community college, to successfully transfer to a four year institution. In doing so, they will have taken the same courses as a student who started at the receiving institution as a freshman

+ Semester

The academic term, usually a 14 - 16 week period, between September and December, and February and May.

+ Sender Institution

The institution from which a student is transferring, in most cases a Community College.

+ Transcript

An official document displaying courses, grades, GPA and information concerning academic courses completed, credits transferred, or credit exams taken.

+ Transfer Student

Any student who moves from one institution to another, who goes through the application process, and has at least 12 credits at the institution.

+ Transferable Courses

Courses that can move between institutions. These courses may be awarded credit at the receiving institution as a major course or a lower level elective.

+ Upper Division

Courses designated as junior or senior level, usually as 300 or 400 level courses. Primarily, these courses satisfy credit towards an academic major or minor.

+ Upper Division

Courses designated as junior or senior level, usually as 300 or 400 level courses. Primarily, these courses satisfy credit towards an academic major or minor.

The University System of Maryland Administration maintains the ARTSYS program and updates the database on a daily basis.